Aller au contenu
mmajunkie

UFC Fight Night 136 winner Jan Blachowicz has backup plan in case lofty callouts fail

Messages recommandés

MOSCOW – UFC light heavyweight Jan Blachowicz is aiming high after his submission win over Nikita Krylov.

Nothing less than a fight with Daniel Cormier (21-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) interests Blachowicz (23-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC), who called out the champion in his post-fight speech after his upset in the co-headliner of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 136.

So bold was the request that UFC commentator Dan Hardy asked Blachowicz for his second choice, knowing the Polish fighter is likely low on champ Cormier’s list for one last fight before he moves up to heavyweight to challenge ex-champ Brock Lesnar. Cormier has said he wants lucrative matchups before hanging up his gloves.

Related

Twitter reacts to Jan Blachowicz's submission of Nikita Krylov at UFC Fight Night 136

But for the 35-year-old Polish fighter, four wins should be enough to get him over the hump.

“I deserve the title shot, and I hope the UFC gives me the chance,” Blachowicz said at the post-event presser at Olympic Stadium after his UFC Fight Pass-streamed win.  “I’m ready for that.”

Blachowicz has a plan for fighting Cormier that’s not terribly complex, and that’s to keep the champ on his feet. The longer they stay there, the better his chances.

“He’s a good wrestler, but he’s also got knockout power,” he said. “So I have to be ready for everything. I think I would have to keep fighting standup.”

But, he adds, “First, (Cormier) would have to accept my challenge.”

If Cormier and his second choice – two-time light heavyweight title challenger Alexander Gustafsson – aren’t ready, Blachowicz jokes he’ll move up to heavyweight.

“Brock Lesnar,” he said when asked whom he’d fight if the light heavyweights turned him down.

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 136, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Gallery

Jan Blachowicz def. Nikita Krylov at UFC Fight Night 136: Best photos

Voir l'article complet