Sign in to follow this  
mmajunkie

John Lineker apologizes for UFC on ESPN+ 1 withdrawal, hopes for quick return

John Lineker hopes he won’t be out of action for long after an injury forced him to withdraw from Saturday’s matchup with Cory Sandhagen at UFC on ESPN+ 1.

Lineker (31-8 MMA, 12-3 UFC) was supposed to meet Sandhagen (9-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in a bantamweight affair. Unfortunately, nine days’ from the event, he pulled out of the fight and was replaced by octagon newcomer Mario Bautista (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

The nature of Lineker injury is still not known, but the Brazilian said he hopes to get another fight booked soon (via Twitter):

I am sorry I wont be fighting on the upcoming jan 19th card.
I thank ATT, family, friends and fans of “ Hands of Stone” s work. I hope to be rescheduled soon so that I can put on another show for the all my fans. pic.twitter.com/KA8BsXykz7

— John Lineker (@johnlineker) January 12, 2019

I am sorry I wont be fighting on the upcoming jan 19th card.
I thank ATT, family, friends and fans of “ Hands of Stone” s work. I hope to be rescheduled soon so that I can put on another show for the all my fans.

UFC on ESPN+ 1 takes place Jan. 19 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. The main card streams on ESPN+ following four prelims on the standard ESPN cable network and early prelims on ESPN+.

Start your free trial to watch UFC on ESPN+

Lineker, No. 7 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA bantamweight rankings, is 8-1 in his past nine appearances, with the lone loss in that run coming to current UFC bantamweight champ T.J. Dillashaw.

“Hands of Stone” hasn’t fought since a third-round knockout of Brian Kelleher at UFC 224 in May.

For more on UFC on ESPN+ 1, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Gallery

John Lineker def. Brian Kelleher at UFC 224: Best photos

Voir l'article complet