Sign in to follow this  
mmafighting

Germaine de Randamie flattens Aspen Ladd with one-punch, 16-second TKO

1155507716.jpg.0.jpg

Germaine de Randamie appears ready for another shot at UFC gold.

The first ever UFC women’s featherweight champion landed one punch in her main event fight against Aspen Ladd and that’s all she needed to put the previously undefeated fighter down and out at just 16 seconds into the opening round. While the shot that landed flush definitely put Ladd on the canvas, it appeared she was still lucid but referee Herb Dean made the judgment call to stop the fight.

“I hit her on the button. Herb Dean called it,” de Randamie said following the knockout win. “If you look at the shot, I dropped her, she didn’t know where she was at that moment. It was a nice clean shot. I think it was a good stoppage.”

As the fight got underway, Ladd immediately pressed forward looking to close the distance on her taller, longer opponent.

The former kickboxer turned mixed martial artist countered by backing up and then timing a perfectly placed right hand that blasted Ladd and sent her crashing down to the ground.

De Randamie followed up with one more shot that didn’t connect because Dean was already rushing into stop the fight. Immediately afterwards, Ladd rolled over and looked OK to continue but the fight was already finished.

Regardless of the referee’s decision, de Randamie will still leave Sacramento with a 16-second knockout on her record, which stands as her fifth win in a row overall while already holding the No. 1 ranking in the women’s bantamweight division.

“I don’t know what’s next,” de Randamie said. “We will see. Let’s ask the UFC what’s next.”

While de Randamie didn’t call for it, a title shot against reigning champion Amanda Nunes would almost seem like a certainty following this latest victory.

The last time de Randamie tasted defeat was against Nunes back in 2013 but she appears more than ready for the rematch after a string of impressive wins.

Afficher l’article complet