Sign in to follow this  
mmajunkie

Sam Alvey will stick to what got him to the UFC despite recent losses

SAN ANTONIO – Sam Alvey is still well above .500 in the UFC, even with a 2-3 run in his past five outings.

In other words, the veteran middleweight isn’t too worried about his career standing coming into a fight that could result in a third straight octagon loss.

“It’s not that I need to win,” Alvey told MMA Junkie in advance of fight against Klidson Abreu at UFC on ESPN 4, which takes place Saturday night at AT&T Center. “It’s that I need to go out there and perform like I like to perform, like the fans like to watch me perform. Go out there and put on a victory fight that people want to see me do again.”

“Victory” is the key part of that last sentence. Alvey (33-12 MMA, 10-7 UFC) admits he was angry about getting stopped by Jim Crute’s punches in February at UFC 234. But he’s over that now, and he’s ready to start knocking other people out.

“I like sticking with what got me here,” Alvey said. “I’ve got more fights than almost everyone in the UFC. I’ve got more than 60 fights, and I’ve won almost all of them. I’ve got a couple Ls in the column, but I try not to focus on those. I try to focus on what I do well.”

Related

UFC on ESPN 4 breakdown: Will Rafael dos Anjos' pace be too much for Leon Edwards?

Leon Edwards seeks 'perfect fairytale' rematch with Kamaru Usman after UFC on ESPN 4

On paper, Abreu (14-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) is a submission threat. But Alvey Googled his opponent and doesn’t discount the heavy hands he brings to the fight. While Alvey expects his opponent to eventually put him on the canvas, he’ll have to dodge a few fists to get there.

One thing Alvey feels confident about is that Abreu will come up short everywhere, especially when it comes to grappling.

“It’s not going to happen,” he said. “He’s not going to be able to hit me, and he’s not going to be able to submit me.”

Alvey muses that he might try a few submissions if the audience cheered for them as much as they do for a knockout. But they don’t, so he knows what he has to do.

For more from Alvey, watch the video above.

For more on UFC on ESPN 4, check out the UFC schedule.

Gallery

Photos: Best of Sam Alvey

Voir l'article complet