Sign in to follow this  
mmajunkie

Casey Kenney wants on Madison Square Garden card after UFC 241 upset win

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Casey Kenney beat Manny Bermudez with a unanimous decision Saturday on the preliminary card at UFC 241 in Anaheim, Calif.

Take a look inside the fight with Kenney, who handed Bermudez the first loss of his pro career.

Result: Casey Kenney def. Manny Bermudez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Updated records: Kenney (13-1-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC), Bermudez (14-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC)
Key stat: Kenney won for the sixth straight time, five of which have come by unanimous decision.

Kenney on the fight’s key moment

“I honestly can’t remember a time where I haven’t been grappling. I started judo when I was 5 years old and I haven’t stopped. His grappling is good. I didn’t underestimate it at all. But my grappling is world-class. I’ve been doing this for a long, long time. I don’t care who you are – I roll with some of the best in the world, and I knew I would be just fine grappling with him.”

Kenney on the fight being a catchweight

“He had 20 pounds on me tonight. I was 145 pounds coming up from flyweight. He’s not a 135-pounder. He missed (weight) by five pounds. (At) 1 a.m. the night before weigh-ins, he was 143 and couldn’t go any lower. the (UFC Performance Institute) cut him off at 140. I’m a gamer. Let’s bang, you know what I’m saying? I was already 136 that morning and started rehydrating up when I found out. I’m still getting used to this bantamweight division. I felt pretty bad since we weighed in – (I) couldn’t hardly pack on any weight. Bantamweight is definitely the future for me. I was just struggling to put on weight a little bit, but I got the job done.”

Kenney on what he wants next

“I want to fight again this year. I’m after big cards and big names. I’m 2-0 in the UFC now. (I was the) first LFA flyweight champion. I consider myself 15-0. I’m here to make some noise and take over the bantamweight division. (UFC 244 at) Madison Square Garden, big name – let’s do it.”

To hear more from Kenney, check out the video of the full post-fight interview above.

Voir l'article complet