Sign in to follow this  
mmajunkie

Source: Multi-fight Bellator deal 'imminent' for Nick Newell after recent debut

Nick Newell is close to calling Bellator his home for the foreseeable future.

A multi-fight deal between Bellator and Connecticut-based lightweight Newell (16-2 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) is “imminent,” a person with knowledge of the situation told MMA Junkie on Friday.

The person asked to remain anonymous since the deal is not finalized and the promotion has yet to make an official announcement.

In late August, Newell competed at Bellator 225 in Bridgeport, Conn. His deal for that fight, however, was established as a “one-off” trial outing. The contest saw Newell made quick work of opponent Corey Browning in front of his home fans with a submission at the 3:15 mark of the first round.

After the bout, an emotional Newell detailed how meaningful the victory was. Additionally, the 33-year-old fighter voiced high praise for Bellator president Scott Coker and matchmaker Rich Chou and stressed his desire to sign a long-term deal with the promotion.

“I’d like to negotiate the multi-fight deal, but that’s not my job,” Newell said. “That’s my management team’s job and they’re going to do what they think is best.”

Newell’s victory in Bellator came on the heels of a decision loss at Dana White’s Contender Series in July 2018. The loss was Newell’s first since he was finished by strikes at the hands of Justin Gaethje in 2014.

Despite having defeated sixteen of eighteen pro opponents, Newell has overcome adversity. Newell was born a congenital amputee and is missing the upper half of his left arm.

Voir l'article complet